TITLE: Analyzing Identity and Culture in Lullabies
AUTHOR AND TEACHER: Cathryn Lally
Cathryn Lally is a 9th grade English Teacher at Whitney Point High School in Whitney Point, NY.
ARTIST COLLABORATOR: Gayane Dadian, Armenian Lullabies
LENGTH: Six 40-minute class periods
Find the complete lesson plans in the sidebar under “Downloads.”
- New York State
- 9-10R1: Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly/implicitly and make logical inferences; develop questions for deeper understanding and for further exploration.
- 9-10R2: Determine one or more themes or central ideas in a text and analyze its development, including how it emerges and is shaped and refined by specific details; objectively and accurately summarize a text.
- 9-10R5: In literary texts, consider how varied aspects of structure create meaning and affect the reader.
- 9-10R6: Analyze how authors employ point of view, perspective, and purpose to shape explicit and implicit messages (e.g., examine rhetorical strategies, literary elements and devices).
- 9-10W4: Create a poem, story, play, artwork, or other response to a text, author, theme or personal experience; demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a variety of techniques and genres. Explain divergences from the original when appropriate.
To hear what students learned from this experience, watch this short video from our 2023 Residency Showcase.