Read our final news bulletin of the year to see our end-of-year list of accomplishments and hear exciting news for 2022!
Looking into a New Year
As I work with the Board and Staff of Local Learning to close the 2021 year and look forward to the new year (see our big announcement below!), I am grateful for everything we have accomplished this year. And we cannot do it without you–the members of our network! From teachers to artists, folklorists, and community-based leaders, we value every opportunity we have to learn with and from each of you. So what does our end-of-year list of accomplishments include?
- Culture, Community, and the Classroom programs in New York and Pennsylvania, reaching 50 teachers, 350+ students, 16 folk artists, and 145 others through our partnerships and public showcases.
- Workshops and programs in Arizona, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Florida, and the southern mountain region of Appalachia in Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
- An updated LL website and a new site dedicated to our journal, making our excellent learning content more visible and user friendly. The websites have received a 100% accessibility score, meeting one of our goals. And by highlighting the Journal of Folklore and Education on its own platform (https://JFEpublications.org) we can target potential authors and reach many more readers.
- A new Staff member in partnership with New York Folklore, Mira Johnson, who coordinates the growing and dynamic New York Folklore and Education Network.
- Our first year as a member of the Teaching with Primary Sources network as a grantee from the Library of Congress (look for our TPS professional development workshops coming to Vermont, Florida, and Oklahoma in 2022!).
- Another excellent volume of the Journal of Folklore and Education on the theme “Creative Texts | Creative Traditions” featuring articles, learning activities, and reviews.
Finally, we highlight that we are closing 2021 with an exciting $5,000 Challenge Grant from a Local Learning friend and supporter. Your donation will go even further this year as we look to raise $5,000 to meet this donor challenge. Through Giving Tuesday and other appeals we have raised $3,000. Can you help us reach the final goal? Learn more and donate here: https://locallearningnetwork.org/about-local-learning/donate/
Cheers to the new year!
~Lisa Rathje, Executive Director